October 22, 2013

Crepes with Chocolate Mousse


During my sister's pink birthday weekend, for breakfast one morning we had crepes.  Inspired by the gourmet crepes at the restaurant, Baker's Crust, we had loaded crepes with Nutella, chocolate mousse, strawberries, bananas, toasted coconut, toasted almonds, vanilla creme sauce, and whipping cream.

The chocolate mousse recipe is part of a dessert recipe I've been making for years, but I have no idea where I got it... maybe from Martha??  I mostly make white chocolate mousse (for desserts like THIS or THIS), but I've used all kinds of chocolate to make it.  For crepes I used milk chocolate.  I use it in a lot of things, it's pretty simple and delicious!! You can find the recipe for the crepes HERE

Chocolate Mousse Recipe

2 1/2 cups heavy cream
12 oz. milk chocolate (or any kind of chocolate)

1.  Prepare an ice water bath - Fill a large bowl 1/3 way full of cold water and ice.  Set aside
2.  Bring 1 cup of the cream just to a boil in saucepan (or I use a glass bowl and do it in the microwave sometimes)
3.  Place the chocolate in a food processor, with the machine running, pour in hot cream in a slow stream and process until smooth.  (I have actually not used the food processor...  You can just break up the chocolate in smaller pieces and pour the hot cream over and whisk until chocolate is all melted.)
4.  If using food processor, transfer chocolate and cream to a medium bowl.  (Another reason I stopped using the food processor, so I would only have one bowl to clean....)
5.  Set your bowl in the ice water bath.  Let cool, stirring occasionally, until thick enough to hold ribbons on the surface (about 15-20 minutes).
6.  While chocolate is cooling, whip up the remaining cream (1 1/2 cups) until nearly stiff peaks.  If chocolate is not ready to use, refrigerate whipping cream until ready to use. 
7.  Once chocolate is completely cool, fold in the beaten whipped cream.
8.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm - about 4-6 hours.  (I usually do over night)
9.  Enjoy!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...