November 18, 2013

Cheddar, Oats & Pumpkin (Oh My!) Meatloaf

Pin It

I love meatloaf.  I also love that you can't really mess up a meatloaf!  It really isn't an exact science - you can add a variety of ingredients and make totally different meatloaf every time.  You could even add some quinoa to this recipe too, like this turkey meatloaf.

This is my basic meatloaf recipe with a few extras!

You know how I have some extra pumpkin puree in my freezer?  Well, I thought I could add some to my regular meat loaf recipe for added goodness and it turned out great.  Actually, it was so super moist!!

Another thing I add to my meatloaf instead of the regular bread crumbs that are common in many recipes, are oats that have been blended to an oat flour-like substance.  Here's the thing with oats - I use the quick cooking kind because I know they won't be crunchy and they will cook for sure.  However, I think you can use regular oats too, but you just wouldn't add as much.


Cheddar Meat Loaf Recipe

1.5 lbs. lean ground beef  (with cooking it on a rack like I do you can use fattier meat if that's what you have because it just drains below it)
1 egg
1/2 c. pumpkin puree
1/4 c. milk
1/4 c. onion minced (or grated) (or 1 T. dried minced onion)
1 c. quick oats
1 -2 tsp. salt (to taste)
1/2 tsp. black pepper (or to taste)
1 clove garlic minced
1 c. cheddar cheese

Sauce

2/3 c. ketchup
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. prepared mustard

Directions

1.  Put oats in food processor and blend until fine.
2.  Make sauce by combining sauce ingredients - whisk until smooth.  Set aside.
3.  Grease cookie sheet.  Place rack on top of cookie sheet and grease rack.  Set aside.
4.  Beat egg with milk and pumpkin puree.  Add seasonings and mix.  Add all other ingredients and mix together well with hands.
5.  Form into five small loafs. I use a spoon and make a shallow indentation (or boat) on the top of the meatloaf so that when I pour sauce on top it doesn't just fall down the side. 
6.  Spread sauce on meatloaves.
7.  Bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until meat thermometer reads 160 degrees.

* If not using pumpkin puree just add equal amount of milk

I like cooking meatloaf on a rack so any extra grease drains - instead of it cooking in it's own grease
You can kind of see the indentions to hold more sauce
You can see the cheddar cheese... Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...