October 15, 2013

Kale Chips


I have been wanting to try making my own Kale Chips for a long time.  Someone gave me some flat leaf kale from their garden and I thought I would use some to finally see what the fuss was all about.

I didn't use a recipe - there were too many to choose from!

So, I thought they were okay.  I didn't love them, but I kept eating them!!   Like potato chips you can't eat just one... Well, my husband could... His exact words:

"It just tastes like crunchy grass."

"They might be better if they had other flavors on them, but I wouldn't waste any ingredients to try it."

"Those would taste good if I were a rabbit, but my taste buds are more complex than that." 

I didn't think they were that bad - and if you need a salty snack then it's a healthy choice. 

I was a little too generous with my olive oil (it just kind of poured out too fast), and then I had too much on one pan I think.  I noticed the pieces that didn't overlap cooked faster.  I also wonder what the taste difference, if any, is with the other curly leaf kale?  I can see how sprinkling Parmesan cheese over top would be yummy too!

Speaking of yummy... After we tried the Kale Chips we decided we wanted to make something a little more delicious, so we made these pumpkin chocolate chip cookies!!!!  I may or may not have eaten ten... 

If my husband's glowing recommendation for Kale Chips hasn't scared you off, here's how I made them...

Kale Chips Recipe

Kale
Sea salt
Olive Oil
(sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top?)

Tear pieces of kale.  Wash and Dry using a salad spinner.  Put kale pieces in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil and sea salt.  Grease a cookie sheet.  Lay kale pieces out.  I learned it was better not to overlap them.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with John. The other flavors don't really help - they're just an attempt to cover that nasty raw taste. And I normally like kale - in soups and stir-fry. We actually eat a lot of it. I just think that it's better cooked. I also hate it in smoothies.

    But a few of my kids sort of like the chips. Not enough for me to make them often. Not that they like it other ways I fix it either!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...