March 18, 2013

Cheesy Grits

I'm sorry, but I have no skills to get good pictures... 

Guys, I know... Grits??  But, you can't knock 'em 'til you've tried them!

I grew up eating these as a hot cereal for breakfast.  People from the south (way more south than me) are like, "Breakfast, what?"  Usually they are a side with shrimp or something...  At my house it's breakfast.

I was making these once for John after we got married, and he was like, "No, gross.  I don't like grits."  Then he tasted them...  funny, he had a sudden change of heart. Same thing with his sister.  I made them for breakfast once when she was visiting, and while we were out shopping later that day she asked, "Could you make some more grits for lunch?"

Now, if you don't like grits because of the texture, I can't help you there.

Also, no one in my family would ever measure out how much sugar, cheese or milk you would use when making grits, you just toss it in the pot or your bowl.  But, part of the reason for this blog is so my kids will have some of my recipes that I haven't really written down, and none of that "a handful of this, or a few drops of this" like my grandma does to me.  They can experiment with those handful and drops after they make the recipe.

Cheesy Grits Recipe

2 c. water
1/2 c. grits
1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese (a little less than 1/2 or to taste)
2 T. sugar (or more if you'd like...)
2 T. milk (or more if you want them thinner)

1.  Bring your water to a boil in a small pot.

2.  Stir in your grits.  Turn down the heat to medium low and cover.  Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occassionally.  (It does stick.)

3.  Uncover and stir in shredded cheese and sugar.  Less or more to your liking. 

4.  Add the milk (basically to cool it down so you can eat it and to make it a little thinner).

5.  Enjoy!  This should serve 2, but I'm going to be honest, I eat all of this by myself....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...