August 27, 2012

My (true) Heirloom Tomatoes

My first true heirloom tomatoes!  I say true heirloom because my grandparents have raised the same kind of tomatoes forever from their own tomatoes seeds.  So, my Grandma gave me some of her seeds last year, I planted them this year and grew some of my own!! 

I think these are called yellow or orange Germans... I think...

Want to raise your own heirloom tomatoes?  Find a tomato you love from a farmers market or a friend's garden (my grandma says tomatoes from the grocery store won't work?), take some of the seeds, spread them out on a paper towel.  Let them dry, and then store in a zip lock bag in the freezer until next year when it's time to plant!  It's that easy!

These are some of my seeds for next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...