February 5, 2011

Valentine Yarn Wreath

I'm going to be honest, this was not one of my favorite projects. Sometimes, I have ideas for things, that just don't work how I envision them working. The final product is cute, but it was a pain to make. This took me a long time to make, because I kept getting frustrated and would put it down and do a little more on it another day.

I thought I could get away with just using an old piece of cardboard, and cut it into a heart shape, instead of buying a heart shaped foam wreath... let's just say it made it a little complicated.

I'll go through the steps of what I did, and tell you what mistakes not to make if you do one...

STEP 1: Get a sturdy piece of cardboard or foam board (NOT the kind that bends, like I used...) and trace a heart, and cut it out. (Or just buy a foam heart wreath...) Then, I folded mine in half and traced the inside heart, and cut it out.


STEP 2: Take your yarn and start wrapping. This was the annoying part - the points and the curves of my shape were hard to wrap. I ended up using hot glue to aid me in my efforts. Those parts ended up being thicker, making me have to do lots of layers of yarn to even it out. If you don't mind doing that, then you might not mind this project, but I thought it was a pain. Especially, because my cardboard started bending, making the yarn not wrap evenly. You can see in the picture below, I just gave up on the bottom point, and covered it with felt roses.


STEP 3: Embellish it with your choice of embellishments. I made some felt rosettes, and hot glued them on.


STEP 4: Hang on your door, and enjoy the results of your hard work!!


Moral of the story: Use a foam wreath, or if you use sturdy cardboard be willing to do lots of layers of yarn.

1 comment:

  1. I tried it once with a foam wreath and it's a pain. I gave up and returned it to the store. I wonder if it would be easier to use ribbon like this one http://eliseblaha.typepad.com/golden/2008/12/wreath-number-three.html
    What do you think?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...