January 27, 2010

Marshmallow Recipe


This was my second time making marshmallows, but this was a new recipe.

Powdered Sugar
2 packets unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. light corn syrup
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
Red food coloring, (optional)

1. Grease an 8" square baking pan. Dust HEAVILY with powdered sugar. In a mixing bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 1/3 c. cold water, and let set 10 minutes.

2. In a saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 1/3 c. water. Bring to a boil and dissolve sugar, then boil 4 minutes more.

3. With mixer on low speed, pour hot sugar syrup into gelatin. Continue beating until completely mixed. Turn mixer on high and beat 10 -15 minutes more, until mixture has doubled in volume and is completely white. Beat in vanilla and food coloring if using. (MY TIP: It did not take me anywhere close to 10 minutes to beat this until it was done. I do have a very good, powerful mixer, so that might make a difference. I figured mine was done when the mixture got really thick and started rising on my beaters.)

4. Spread mixture in the prepared pan. Wet hands to smooth top. Let set 3 hours or overnight. (I did 3 hours) Turn onto a cutting board dusted with powdered sugar. Cut into squares with a SHARP knife. Toss with powdered sugar to coat all sticky sides. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.

These are really, really yummy! If you like marshmallows, that is...

A few ideas: You can cut these out into shapes with small cookie cutters, but I would put them in a bigger pan, to make thinner marshmallows, to make cutting them into shapes easier. You would need to dip your cookie cutter in powdered sugar between cuts to help with the stickiness. These would also be fun to make for a baby shower with a pink or blue theme. Also, instead of dying these pink, leave them white, and instead of rolling them in powdered sugar roll them in fine colored sugar. I don't ever have to buy Peeps again, I can just make these and roll them in sugar!


**I think I cut this out of a Family Fun magazine, but I'm not really sure**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...