October 19, 2012

Honey Garlic Chicken


My neighbor came over one night to borrow some soy sauce for the recipe she was making and I asked what she was cooking.  She told me and said she had recently pinned it, so I looked it up almost as soon as she left, I pinned it, and we made it for dinner the next night because I had all the ingredients on hand. 

The picture of the original recipe, found HERE, is much lighter than how mine turned out, and I don't know how because the soy sauce darkened mine so much...  My sous chef (John) didn't flatten the chicken quite enough, so mine took a little longer to cook. 

I did change the recipe a bit, because it used much more flour, egg, etc. than needed for four chicken breasts, but if you want to double the recipe look back to the original (or just double this...). 

This was super flavorful, John loved it, but my kids did not... I served them with these roasted carrots from pinterest because the flavors seemed like they would go nicely with the chicken.  The recipe apparently came from this blog, but I couldn't find it on her blog, lucky for me someone put the recipe on the pin.  I'll include it below.  We really liked the carrots! 

Honey Garlic Crunch Chicken Recipe

4 large boneless chicken breasts

Place the chicken breasts between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and using a meat mallet, pound the meat to an even 1/2 inch thickness.

Sift together:


1 cup flour
2 tsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
1.5 tbsp ground ginger
1 tbsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground thyme
1 tsp ground sage
1 tbsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper


Make an egg wash by whisking together:

2 eggs
4 tbsp water

Honey Garlic Sauce:
In a medium saucepan add

2 tbsp olive oil
3 – 4 cloves minced garlic

Cook over medium heat to soften the garlic but do not let it brown. Add:

1 cup honey
¼ cup soy sauce (I use low sodium)
1 tsp ground black pepper

Simmer together for 5-10 minutes, remove from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes. Watch this carefully as it simmers because it can foam up over the pot very easily.
1.  Make sauce and set aside.  Put your rice in a rice cooker (or whatever your preferred method.) I like to have these started before my chicken is done. 

2.  Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper, then dip the meat in the flour and spice mixture. Dip the breast into the egg wash and then a final time into the flour and spice mix, pressing the mix into the meat to get good contact.

3.  Heat a skillet on the stove with about a half inch of canola oil covering the bottom. You will want to carefully regulate the temperature here so that the chicken does not brown too quickly. The thinness of the breast meat practically guarantees that it will be fully cooked by the time the outside is browned. I find just below medium heat works well. I use a burner setting of about 4 1/2 out of 10 on the dial and fry them gently for about 4 or 5 minutes per side until golden brown and crispy.

4.  Drain on a wire rack for a couple of minutes before dipping the cooked breasts into the Honey Garlic Sauce. Serve with noodles or rice.

 
 
Honey & Balsamic Roasted Carrots Recipe
 
1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
 
2.  I put almost a whole small bag of baby carrots in a ziplock bag and drizzled a little bit of olive oil and sea salt over them and shook them up.  
 
3.  Roast for about 15-20 minutes. 
 
4.  Then drizzle with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 3 tablespoons of honey, and about 1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar. 
 
5.  Pop them back into the oven for about 5 more minutes to achieve sweet, salty, still slightly crunchy perfection!

4 comments:

  1. looks good! I will have to get Jim to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like good flavors. Me being lazy, I would probably just get pieces with skin on them and bake them in the oven . . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you could totally do that - the flavor is yummy - but John likes the "Chinese food aspect of it being fried and crunchy and all.

      Delete
  3. It took me FIVE tries to get that last comment published - the word verification is too hard.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...