October 20, 2012

Corn Chowder


I'll admit I was a bit skeptical about trying this recipe, but I loved it.  I got it from Pinterest, and it was originally a Weight Watcher recipe.  I changed it a bit.. It only called for one potato, but there are five people in my family, so I used three.  The recipe calls for skim milk, and John was like, "you should use cream!"  :)  I used 1 c. of skim milk, and 1 c. of 2%.

It was really yummy, very flavorful, and quick to throw together!

Corn Chowder Recipe
Recipe from HERE

3 medium potatoes
1/2 T. olive oil
1/2 c. diced celery
1/4 c. minced onion
1 c. sweet red pepper diced (I used roasted red peppers because it is what I had)
4 pieces of bacon cooked (the original recipe called for Canadian bacon - not my fav. so I subbed)
About 2 c. corn (original recipe says corn from 4 stalks) 
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. hot pepper sauce or to taste (optional)

1. Pierce potatoes several times and cook in microwave - about 8 minutes. Allow to cool.
2. In a large pot add olive oil, saute celery, onion, red pepper.
3. Add milk and bacon.
4. Peel potato, then add to pot and use a potato masher to mash in pot.
5. Add salt, pepper, and corn.
6. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes - do not boil.

** I have to try and make all my meals as kid friendly as possible - so we put the celery, onion, and red pepper in a food processor and pulverize it so there are no chunks of them so there will be a bigger chance of my kids eating it...  But, I actually never fed it to them - Between John having it in his lunch, and me eating it all, the kids got fish sticks.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...