I actually made these two years ago, and this post has just been in my drafted posts for that long!
This year, we have picked about 120 pounds of strawberries so far. I'm not sure how much we picked last year, but we totally ran out of frozen berries at the beginning of this year some time. So, hopefully we won't run out this year!
With this last picking I thought I would try some new strawberry recipes, and remembered I had this post sitting here, so I might as well publish it! I cut out this recipe in 2011, and I found here online for you.
Strawberry Rhubarb Hand Pies
Recipe from Southern Living
- 3/4 cup finely diced fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup finely diced rhubarb
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons orange zest, divided
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cold
- 1/4 cup shortening, chilled
- 3 tablespoons ice-cold water
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- Parchment paper
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream
- Combine strawberries, rhubarb, cornstarch, 2 Tbsp. sugar, and 1 1/2 tsp. orange zest in a small bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Combine flour, salt, and remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a large bowl. Cut in butter and shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles small peas. Stir in remaining 1 1/2 tsp. orange zest. Drizzle with ice-cold water and orange juice. Stir with a fork until combined. (Mixture will be crumbly and dry.) Knead mixture lightly, and shape dough into a disk. Divide dough in half.
- Roll half of dough to 1/8-inch thickness on a heavily floured surface. (Cover remaining dough with plastic wrap.) Cut with a 2 1/4-inch round cutter, rerolling scraps as needed. Place half of dough rounds 2 inches apart on a parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Top with 1 rounded teaspoonful strawberry mixture. Dampen edges of dough with water, and top with remaining dough rounds, pressing edges to seal. Crimp edges with a fork, and cut a slit in top of each round for steam to escape. Repeat procedure with remaining dough and strawberry mixture. (I used my tart press things)
- Stir together egg yolk and cream; brush pies with egg wash. Sprinkle with sugar. Freeze pies 10 minutes. (The great thing about this recipe, is you could totally prep these a week ahead of time for a gathering and freeze them and then cook them the day of.)
- Bake at 375° for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. Store in an airtight container up to 2 days.