September 18, 2013

Artichoke Fondue

Pin It

I love fondue.  At almost any special occasion or holiday that occurs John requests we just do fondue.  We used to go to the Melting Pot, but don't go anymore now that our four children use all of our money... But, for my birthday this year, friends of ours invited us over for dinner the night after my birthday, and they surprised me with this fondue.  Fontina cheese is my favorite because it melts so smoothly and is in some of my favorite cheese fondues.  So they found this one that had Fontina in it and made it for me.  It was so sweet of them!  

Recently, Harris Teeter had their specialty cheeses 20% off and our friends were visiting so I bought some cheese to make them this fondue.  

The only thing I didn't add was the spinach - only because I forgot to buy it...

Also, the thing with fondue is it is a little finicky.  We had it melted perfectly, then we weren't ready to eat... then it cooked too high and then the fondue became a little... sad?    

Artichoke Fondue Recipe
Original Recipe from HERE

Ingredients

1 cup vegetable broth

1/2 to 1 cup fresh baby spinach, chopped (I didn't use)

1/2 cup artichoke hearts pureed

1 1/2 - 2 T. minced garlic

8 oz Butterkase Cheese

8 oz Fontina Cheese

1/2 cup grated Paremsan

1 T. flour

dash of hot sauce



Dippers

Tortilla Chips

Various breads cut into bite sized cubes

Sliced apples(coat with a little lemon juice so the don't turn brown)

Various vegetables (I like broccoli and cauliflower)

1.  Grate your cheeses and set aside.
2.  Puree your canned artichokes and mince your garlic.  Set aside.  (If you like artichoke chunks just chop your artichokes - John prefers artichokes pureed, so that's what I usually do.)
3.  Heat your fondue pot on low and add your vegetable broth, artichokes, and garlic.
4.  At this point some people at their flour and make a kind of roux to help with melting.  Other people mix it with their cheese and add the cheese.  Do whatever makes you happy.  
5.  Add your cheeses and dash of hot sauce.  
6.  Stir and melt over low heat. Serve immediately.
7.  Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...