April 10, 2013

Copy Cat Red Robin Onion Rings


Whenever I eat onion rings I think back to when I was a kid, my dad would make onion rings sometimes on Sunday evenings as a treat! 

I was impressed with this recipe. I've made a lot of onion rings that don't stay coated as well like these did.

I had already started making the onion rings when I pulled out my Panko bread crumbs and they were Italian seasoned!  Oh well, I made them anyway and they still turned out, just next time I'll make them without the Italian seasoned bread crumbs. 

I did change up a few things with this recipe, because it wasn't working.  I added a step in #4 below.  Also, in step #3 it tells you to put a teaspoon of the salt mixture in each bowl, but then you have all this seasoning left over.  I just distributed it evenly in all three bowls.  Also, next time I will put the Panko breadcrumbs in the food processor before coating the onions, because I think they need to be finer. 

The campfire sauce tasted the same as Red Robin's.  My husband thought it should be a little thinner, so next time we'll add a drop of ranch dressing to it as well. 

Copy Cat Red Robin Onion Rings Recipe
Recipe from HERE

1 tbsp. fine sea salt

1 tbsp. freshly ground black pepper

1 tbsp. paprika

1 tbsp. granulated garlic

1 tbsp. sugar

4 large sweet onions, peeled and sliced into ¾-in. slices

2 cups all-purpose flour

¼ cup cornmeal

6 large eggs

¼ cup water

5 cups panko bread crumbs (put in food processor to make a finer consistency)

6-8 cups canola oil (I used peanut oil)

Campfire Sauce

1. Combine sea salt and next 4 ingredients; set aside.

2. Separate onions into rings.

3. Set aside 3 large shallow bowls. Combine flour, cornmeal and 1 tsp. salt mixture in first bowl. Whisk eggs and water in second. Mix panko and 1 tsp. salt mixture in third.

4. Dredge each ring in flour mixture, then egg mixture. Dip ring into flour mixture again, then back in egg mixture then in panko mixture, pressing crumbs onto rings to ensure even coating. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining onions. Cover loosely; chill 30 min.

5. Heat oil to 350 in a large deep skillet or electric fryer (use fry thermometer to ensure oil is not too hot). Fry rings in batches, allowing oil to return to 350 between batches. Place cooked onions on paper-towel-lined baking sheet.  Serve with Campfire Sauce.



CAMPFIRE SAUCE

Whisk 1½ cups mayonnaise and 1 cup prepared barbecue sauce in medium bowl; cover and chill at least 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...