October 25, 2012

Oatmeal Pumpkin Bread


My friend posted on her blog that she tried this recipe, and it only called for a cup of pumpkin (which all of these pumpkin recipes have called for) which I had, so I thought I would try it.  Bad idea - I ate that whole loaf you see sliced above minus two pieces... Yikes!! 

This recipe makes yummy, yummy bread!  It's a super simple recipe, quick to throw together, and no kneading necessary!  If you are afraid of making bread - try this recipe!  It has the perfect consistency and everything!!!  The pumpkin just makes it more moist you can't really taste it.  When I was making it I had to fight the urge to put in more flour so the dough wasn't so sticky...   The dough even tasted good!

Oatmeal Pumpkin Bread Recipe
Recipe from HERE

2 cups lukewarm water
1 1/2 Tablespoons yeast
1/3 cup honey
1 Tablespoon kosher salt
1 cup pumpkin puree
5 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup rye flour (I used whole wheat flour here)
4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

Directions

1.  The original directions say to simply stir the above ingredients together and let ‘rest’ on the counter for 2 hours.  I had to follow bread protocol and do the water and yeast first with the honey to make sure the yeast was working, then I addded the rest of the ingredients in order.  I used my kitchen aid with the paddle attachment to mix the bread.

2.  After 2 hours, it’s either ready to form into a loaf (this recipe makes 3 loaves, but they don’t have to be baked at the same time) or stick in the refrigerator. With this recipe, I usually refrigerate it, as the dough is very sticky and hard to work with if you don’t. However, if you choose to bake now, grab a ‘cantaloupe-sized’ piece of the dough, dust it with flour, shape it into a ball as you stretch the dough down around to the bottom on all sides. Place this ball in a lightly greased nonstick loaf pan. Let it ‘rest’ again. If you’re using un-refrigerated dough, rest time is only 40 minutes. If it’s refrigerated, let it rest for 2 hours.

3.  Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes (mine didn't take this long - 35-40 min. depending on your loaf pan size)

** I didn't put my dough in the fridge. I baked it right after it rose the 40 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...