October 27, 2012

Pumpkin Donuts


These were yummy - even with my mess ups... So, when you have a two year old "helping" you cook it does distract you a little bit, but if he knows I'm cooking he has to be right there with me.  Therefore, where it called for pumpkin pie spice I put allspice instead, oops!  They were still yummy, but I can't wait to make them with pumpkin pie spice! 

These are more like old fashioned donuts (cake like), and they are delicious!  Even if I overcooked some a tad bit...  :)

PUMPKIN DONUT RECIPE

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour (I ended up using a little bit more to make the dough a little less sticky)
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons butter
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup pumpkin puree


For the buttermilk glaze:

3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Canola oil for frying

1.  In a large bowl, (I used my kitchen aid with whisk attachment) whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, spice and sugar. Whisk together all of the remaining ingredients (except for the canola oil) in a second, medium bowl. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and stir them around the bowl until the mixture is well combined.

2.  I actually put my dough in the fridge and it worked out well too, maybe even better because the dough was a little easier to work with cold (because I was trying to get my two year old to sleep before frying them). Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, rolling the donut dough to approximately1/4-1/2″ thick. (This will seem quite thin, but the donuts puff up immensely while frying). Cut with a donut cutter.  (I use a biscuit cutter, and a random lid for the hole.)

3.  Meanwhile, whisk the glaze ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth.

4.  Heat 2 inches of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, gently slide the donuts into the oil, frying on the first side until the edges of the donut are lightly browned, and the tops puff up, flip carefully and allow to cook on the other side until lightly browned. Remove onto paper towel briefly then dunk immediately into buttermilk glaze.

5.  Allow to air dry on a cooling rack before serving.  (Who really will do this step - eat them hot off the press!!) 

6.  Enjoy!!

**  Link to Recipe HERE.  This is why I put the recipes on my blog because I went to go back to find the original recipe and the blog site it was published on seemed to disappear.  So, the link takes you to the same recipe on a different blog, which has a link to the original, if that ever works again... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...