May 9, 2012

Strawberry Jam

It's that time of year again!!! Yay for strawberries!

Our freezer jam supply didn't quite make us through the whole year last year, so this time I made more, and I think we'll be okay... 

I picked about 12 pounds of strawberries (the farm I pick at, the people are so nice, they always round down), and made freezer jam out of all of it (minus what the kids and I snacked on...)

The first batch where I was lazy and just smashed the berries with a potato masher
John helped do the second batch where he put the berries in the Magic Bullet, we like smooth jam the best.

Freezer jam is so easy.  If you've never made it, don't be afraid.  It's this simple:

Buy instant pectin and follow the directions on the box, packet, or bottle!  If you want a lower sugar jam, make sure you buy the lower sugar pectin.  If you just add less sugar to the regular recipe, it won't turn out.  My mom tried to do that ages ago and learned her lesson.  That applies to all jam recipes. 

Honestly, I really don't eat it very much, but my kids LOVE it! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...