February 2, 2010

Valentine Pastries


For family night last night, we made cherry cheese turnovers in the shape of hearts. (We talked about love). My two year old had fun playing with the scraps of puff pastry, as did my five year old. The recipe:

Cherry Cheese Turnovers

1 box of puff pastry dough
1 can of cherry pie filling

For the cream cheese filling: Beat together 4 oz. cream cheese, 1/4 cup powdered sugar, and 1/2 tsp. vanilla.

For the glaze: Whisk together 1 1/4 cup of powdered sugar, 1 1/2 T. milk, and 1/4 tsp. vanilla.

Follow the directions on the box for the puff pastry (don't let it over thaw, then it is a little more complicated to work with, and I've found it puffs up nicer if the dough is a little firmer). Cut out desired shapes. Spread on cream cheese filling and top with cherry pie filling (stay away from the edges). Put a top layer of your dough on top and press around the edges with a fork. Bake at 400 degrees 15 - 18 minutes, until slightly browned and puffy. Drizzle with glaze. (With the left over scraps that my children didn't play with, I made funny shaped turnovers, and baked any smaller pieces of dough by itself.)


I wanted to do an open heart to show the filling, so I cut a smaller heart in the middle of my larger heart.


My husband didn't have any faith in my open heart, and thought the cherries would run everywhere, so he and my son made full covered hearts.


Here are some other fun things you can do with pastry for Valentine's Day:

I made a Blueberry Raspberry Pie, and covered it with hearts.



You could also make a chicken pot pie and do the same thing, or make individual chicken pot pies with a single heart like I did.


Lots of fun things you could do with pastry dough for Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...