January 25, 2010

Red Velvet Whoopie Pies


I used to go to this Mennonite bakery as a kid with my mom, and I would get a whoopie pie as a treat. I've always loved them. Here is a red velvet variety that would be great to use for a Valentine party or treat. This was a new recipe, and I really wanted to cut out the dough in heart shapes, but it wasn't the kind of dough to do that. But, those would have been even cuter. It was a super easy recipe, with yummy results.

The recipe:

2 c. flour
2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. butter
1 c. packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 - 1 oz. bottle of red food coloring (2 Tbsp.) - I actually didn't have the whole amount and mine still turned out pretty red.

Filling Recipe:

1/4 c. butter softened
4 oz. cream cheese softened (I used Neufatchel)
1 - 7 oz. jar of marshmallow creme

1. Combine dry ingredients in medium bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, beat butter for 30 seconds, then add brown sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Alternately, add flour mixture and buttermilk, beating after each addition just until combined. Stir in food coloring.
3. Spoon batter on greased cookie sheets (or you can use parchment paper) 1-2 inch rounds allowing room for them to spread.
4. Bake at 375 degrees for 7 - 9 minutes or until tops are set. Cool completely on racks.
5. Make the filling: Beat butter and cream cheese, then add marshmallow creme.
6. Spoon filling on flat side of cookie and top with another cookie.
7. Enjoy!

My tips:

1. Don't let the cookie rack sit too close to the edge of your counter, your daughter will steal the cookies as they cool!! (She even got ahold of the pie above in the photo, right before I could take a picture, you can tell where I had to fix where her fingers grabbed... but we had already eaten and given away the rest of the cookies...)
2. These taste better after you let them sit for an hour or two. It allows the filling to harden up a little bit. I know it's hard to be patient, but it pays off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...