October 27, 2015

My Running Reward Smoothie Recipe

Pin It


One thing I look forward to when I go running is the smoothie I'm going to eat (drink? slurp?) afterwards!  My two year old knows the routine as well and climbs to the table while I blend up a smoothie.  He loves that I share with him and I love that I get all his servings of fruit in his body in the morning!


I've never used a recipe for my smoothies, but I recently realized I've been making the same one these last few weeks, and thought I'd actually write it down for once!

I use mostly frozen fruit that I pick in the summer for my smoothies (the main reason I pick fruit actually!).  My smoothies are always different, sometimes I use Greek yogurt, kale, or add fruit juices.  Mostly 100% fresh fruit with a water or milk.  Our strawberries we do usually freeze with a little bit of sugar over them to keep them more fresh, but that's it.  Sometimes we freeze them whole, but we find the little syrup over them keeps them tasting better, and don't get frost bitten. 

When I went on vacation this summer I was actually sad to leave my garden because there was going to be so much to harvest while I was gone.  Luckily, I had a friend take care of it for me, and she went above and beyond and made it so I could enjoy these smoothies for months!

This was the second year I planted cantaloupes and boy did they just go gangbusters!

There are at least eight cantaloupe in this picture!!
She cut  or sliced them for me and froze them.  I was a little unsure how I was going to use them because honestly, I'm not a huge melon fan, and I had never really used them in smoothies.  I mostly grew them because my kids will eat them. But, that has since changed and I love them in my smoothies because it gives them a fresher taste.  Delicious!



Running Reward Smoothie Recipe

1 Banana
1 Apple, with peelings, sliced (I use Gala or Fuji)
1 c. water
6 large ice cubes
2 slices frozen cantaloupe
1 heaping cup of frozen strawberries (so more like 1 1/2 cups  - be generous)

Blend until smooth and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...