March 5, 2015

Clean Eating Chocolate Muffins


So, just ignore the ugly picture of this muffin, if you want to see a pretty picture of them, go HERE.  Here's  the thing, if you want to make a super delish, Fatty McFatterson chocolate muffin, don't make this recipe.   However, if you want to feel good about not feeding your kids Fatty McFatterson food and still let them feel like they are having a treat, then this is the recipe for you!

I've seen this recipe a lot on Pinterest and finally decided to try it. Mine is the smaller version versus their large muffin, and I didn't put the rest of the chocolate chips in half way through either because I was distracted by my ten kids, I mean four.  I would definitely remember to do that next time though, because the muffin was more delightful when each bite contained chocolate chips. 

I don't use artificial sweeteners, so I used agave and honey in place of the Splenda.  But, honestly, I'm not opposed to just trying sugar next time.  I also think quick oats would be better than using whole oats like I used.  Even I ground the oats up into a flour like consistency there were still little pieces in the muffins, and quick oats would be absorbed better I think. 

My kids gobbled them up.  (Though a neighbor boy didn't dig them.)

So, thanks Pinterest, for another (mostly healthy) recipe!

Clean Eating Chocolate Muffins Recipe 
Recipe from HERE

 Ingredients:
1 3/4 cup oats (I think quick oats would be better)
3 egg whites
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (I used cinnamon flavored and couldn't taste it in the muffin)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (or regular plain low fat yogurt)
 1/2 tsp cream of tartar (or 1-1/2 Tbsp. vinegar)
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup hot water
1 cup sugar substitute (like Splenda granular) OR 1/4 cup + 2 tbs stevia (I used 1/4 cup agave and 2 T. honey)
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
 
1.       Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 (12-cup) muffin pans with foil cupcake liners, or spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.  

2.       In a blender, (or food processor), mix all of the ingredients together, except for the chocolate chips. Blend until oats are ground and mixture is smooth.  (I put the oats by itself in a food processor first and ground them until they were flour like consistency.)
 
3.       Place mixture in a bowl and gently stir in 1/2 of the chocolate chips (set the rest aside). Scoop mixture into prepared muffin pans.  

4.       Place muffins tins in the oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove muffins from the oven (but don’t shut oven off), and distribute the other half of the chocolate chips on top of each muffin.
 
5.       Place the muffins back into the oven and bake for an additional 2-5 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. *Note, you could skip this step by putting all of the chips in the batter, and baking the muffins for 12-15 min straight, but this method gives the muffins the traditional ‘VitaTop Muffin’ look with the chocolate chips on top!

6.       Cool muffins before removing from pan. 

7.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...