August 6, 2013

Make your own yogurt (or Greek Yogurt)

I was really excited when my sister in law forwarded me this crock pot yogurt recipe!  I eat plain yogurt with fruit (or plain.... I know, it's an acquired taste I think...)  almost every day for breakfast or when I need a snack/dessert.  I love to eat it with my thawed strawberries!! 

Oh my word, it was so super easy and totally cheaper than buying yogurt.  Especially, Greek yogurt!!  You just strain your yogurt longer to make Greek yogurt.

Pin It
My own Greek yogurt on the left, and my own regular yogurt on the right!  This was all from one batch! 

Crock Pot Yogurt Recipe
original recipe from HERE

1/2 gallon milk (8 cups)*
1/2 cup plain unflavored yogurt**

 *  The first time I made it I used 1% milk.  The next time I used mostly skim and about 1 cup of 2%.  The first time it made more yogurt - maybe because there was more fat in it?  Of course whole milk will make a creamier yogurt.

**  For your starter, any kind of yogurt with live active cultures will work. I used plain greek yogurt the first time, and the second time I used my own starter.  Be sure to save a half cup of this batch of homemade yogurt to use as a starter next time!


1.  Pour the half gallon of milk into your crock pot and turn it on low. Cook it for 2 hours and 45 minutes.

2.  After 2 hours and 45 minutes, turn the crock pot off and let it sit down 3 hours.

3.  Spoon a small amount of the milk into a small bowl and add the half cup of yogurt to it. Mix together thoroughly.

4.  Pour this mixture back into the milk in the crock pot and mix it around well with a whisk.

5.  Put the lid back on your crock pot and wrap the crock pot with a large beach towel or blanket (make sure the crock pot is unplugged and turned off!).  Apparently, it helps keep the heat in the crock pot and allows it to cool more slowly.

6.  Let the beach-towel-wrapped crock pot sit for 8-12 hours (or overnight). After 8-12 hours, it should be thickened.

7.  Line your fine strainer/siv with a paper towel, and place over a bowl.  Pour your yogurt onto the paper towel lined strainer.  Let your yogurt drain.  The longer you strain it, the thicker your yogurt will be.  The thickest makes the Greek yogurt.  While straining, gently take a spoon and scrape the yogurt from the paper towel.  (I used two strainers the last time I made it to make it go faster.)


8.  Spoon yogurt into jars or plastic containers and refrigerate a few hours before eating.
This will keep for one to two weeks in the refrigerator. Be sure to save a half cup to use as a starter for your next batch of homemade yogurt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...