April 21, 2012

Chicken and White Bean Stuffed Peppers


These were super tasty, and pretty healthy!  My two year old even loved the filling for these peppers!  They smelled fabulous when I took them out of the oven.  I changed only a few slight things to the recipe.  I've always done stuffed peppers where they stand up and you fill them that way, I kinda like these filled this way instead better...  They are delish!!! 

I think you could do these vegetarian if you subbed quinoa for the chicken, and water or vegetable broth for the chicken broth.  You could also use tofu instead of chicken, but ick...  :)

Chicken and White Bean Stuffed Peppers Recipe
adapted from HERE
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 onion minced
  • 4 cloves garlic minced
  • 1/2 half red bell pepper (I used roasted from a jar)
  • 1/4 cup parsley
  • 5 bell peppers (red or green) (I only used 4 peppers and still had one half left over)
  • 14 oz shredded cooked chicken breast (I used about one large chicken breast)
  • cumin to taste (I think I used 1/2 - 1 tsp.)
  • salt to taste
  • 15.5 oz can white beans
  • 1 1/3 c. chicken broth (DIVIDED)
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
I used a whole chicken that I cooked in the crock pot.  I also used the broth from that in this recipe as well.  Shred or dice the amount of chicken you want to use. 

In a medium pan, heat oil on medium heat. Add onions, garlic, parsley and red pepper. Saute until soft, about a minute. Add chicken and season with cumin and salt. Add beans and 1 cup of chicken broth and simmer for about 5-10 minutes, until it thickens and the liquid reduces. Adjust spices to taste.

Cut peppers in half from top to bottom, removing seeds and stem (I left stem just because it looked pretty). 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.   Pour about 1/3 cup of chicken broth into the bottom of your oven-proof baking dish.  Fill each pepper with chicken and bean mixture. Place peppers in dish. Cover tight with foil. Bake 30 minutes at 350°. Remove foil, top with cheese and bake uncovered another 5 minutes. (I actually cooked them with cheese on them, and took the foil off the last 5 minutes)

Enjoy!
Before the cheese is added


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...