March 12, 2012

Krispy Kreme Doughnut Copy Cat Recipe


Oh boy, I never should have made this recipe... my family is now addicted!  When they were all gone, my kids asked if I would make some more.  I said I would in about a year....

This is a great recipe!  We were all impressed!  I think they really do taste like Krispy Kreme Doughnuts! 

I read the reviews for the recipe I ended up using (from HERE), and a common review was to use less vanilla in the glaze, so that was the only change I made to the original recipe, I include the amount I use in the recipe below.  Well, I also changed the kind of chocolate chips.  I think the glazes really do taste like Krispy Kreme's.

The only thing is, I haven't cooked using shortening in at least six years, maybe more...  so, I wasn't excited about that.  I may try using butter next time, but shortening does usually make things a little lighter and fluffier...  So, we'll see... 

****UPDATE****  So... I made these again using butter and it made a completely different doughnut!  I was so disappointed.  So, stick with the shortening.  Also, for the glaze - Krispy Kreme's glaze is really thin - for the glaze recipe below add one tablespoon of the water at a time until you get it pretty thin.  I think this last time I made it, it was too thick.  I also used Grape seed Oil this last time to fry them in, and I think that seemed to change the taste?  So, next time I make them I will use the canola oil again. 

Krispy Kreme Copy Cat Recipe:
  • 2 (¼ ounce) packages yeast
  • ¼ cup water
  • 1 ½ cups lukewarm milk (scalded, then cooled)
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 13 cup shortening
  • 5 cups all-purpose flour
  • canola oil

Creamy Glaze

  • 13 cup butter
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoons vanilla
  • 4 -6 tablespoons hot water (I used 5)

Chocolate frosting

  • 13 cup butter
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • ½ teaspoons vanilla
  • 4 -6 tablespoons hot water (I used 4)
  • 2 T. semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 2 T. milk chocolate chips

Directions:

  1. Dissolve yeast in warm water in 2 1/2-quart bowl.
  2. Add milk, sugar, salt, eggs, shortening and 2 cups flour.
  3. Beat on low for 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly.
  4. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
  5. Stir in remaining flour until smooth.  I kneaded it a little bit too. 
  6. Cover and let rise until double, 50-60 minutes.  (When making bread  you really can't be sure about time, because temperatures in people's homes are so different, so even though it has been an hour, if it hasn't doubled it's not done. 
  7. Turn dough onto floured surface; roll around lightly to coat with flour.
  8. Gently roll dough 1/2-inch thick with floured rolling pin.
  9. Cut with floured doughnut cutter. I used a mug and an old film canister for the hole.  We made lots of doughnut holes too!  Which were less messy for the kids to eat.
  10. Let rise on a floured surface so you can easily pick up the doughnuts after they have risen. 
  11. Cover and let rise until double, 30-40 minutes

  12.   Make Glazes



Creamy Glaze:
Melt butter in microwave.  Remove.  Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.
Stir in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency.
Chocolate Frosting:

Melt butter and chocolate in microwave. Remove.Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.
Stir in water 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency.

  1. Heat vegetable oil to 325 degrees  .Slide doughnuts into hot oil with wide spatula.
  2. Turn doughnuts as they rise to the surface.  I used the stick end of a wooden spoon to turn them over through the hole so they wouldn't get punctured.
  3. Fry until golden brown, about 1 minute on each side.
  4. Remove carefully from oil; drain on a rack over a cookie sheet. 
  5. Dip the doughnuts into creamy glaze set on rack then when slightly cooled, dip doughnut in chocolate frosting.
  6. Dip in sprinkles or other toppings after chocolate if desired.
  7. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...