March 14, 2012

Copy Cat Panera Black Bean Soup



So, this was a first for me - making a copy cat recipe that I've never even tasted in the restaurant.  My sister in law suggested I find a recipe.  So, I found a recipe HERE, and when I saw how simple it was, I put it on the list for copy cat week! 

I did take some to my sister in law to taste test, and she said it was pretty right on.  I wasn't sure how it was garnished, so I did cheddar cheese with some cilantro, but I found out that isn't how Panera does it. 

This recipe can be made vegetarian if you use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock. 

The next time I make it I will double it, because it didn't make very much, and you know I like to cook enough to have leftovers.  I will also serve it with a relish of tomatoes, green onions, cheese, cilantro, and sour cream.  I might even add some of those tiny tortillia strips.  I think that would be really good too!  This soup to me is like a glorified refried beans. 

It really is very tasty!!!  I will be making it again.  My almost two year old had three ramekins full! 

This recipe said to puree the beans, but my sister in law said the beans are whole in the soup at Panera. 

Copy Cat Panera Black Bean Soup Recipe:

1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 celery ribs, finely chopped
1/4 large red bell pepper, finely chopped
2 small chicken bouillon cubes
1 to 1 1/2 cup boiling water
2 cans black beans, undrained
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 lemon, juice of
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch

In a pot, combine the first six ingredients; simmer for 10 minutes.

Add beans, salt and cumin; cook for 5 minutes.

Combine the cornstarch with 1 1/2 tablespoons of water. Add the lemon and the cornstarch to the soup; cook until thickened

Garnish as desired.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...