September 16, 2010

Creamy Lemon Supreme


A friend had us over for dinner and made this for dessert, and I had to have the recipe. I finally made it a few weekends ago for a family reunion picnic. The recipe is from one of her cookbooks, I'm sorry I don't know which one... My notes and changes will be italics.

CRUST
12 lemon creme-filled sandwich cookies, finely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
3 T. butter or margarine melted
1 lemon

(My friend used a graham cracker crust, I did the cookies. Tasted good either way. The graham cracker crust does provide a nice contrast. I would double the cookies and butter though, I didn't think 12 were enough. I LOVE the lemons on the side, it just adds a nice touch, and that is where you slice your slices. When my friend made it she just used a ready made graham cracker crust in a pie plate, so if you still want the taste without the fuss that is a good option.)

Lightly spray springform pan with nonstick cooking spray. For crust, crush cookies and mix with melted butter. Press into bottom of the pan. Cut six thin slices from lemon, cut each slice in half. Place lemon halves against inside collar of pan with cut side touching crust. Refrigerate while preparing filling.

FILLING
2 lemons
1 (2.9 oz.) pkg. of lemon cook and serve pudding and pie filling (not instant)
1/2 c. sugar
2 c. water, divided
2 egg yolks
1 T. butter or margarine (I always us butter for any baking)
2 (8 oz.) pkgs. softened cream cheese
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 container (8 oz.) frozen cool whip, thawed and divided (I never use this in any recipe either. I always sub whipping cream. So, for this I whipped 1 cup of whipping cream - which makes 2 cups needed for the recipe. But, you'll need more in addition for garnish on top)

Zest lemons to measure 1 1/2 tsp. zest. Juice lemons to measure 1/4 c. of juice. Combine pudding, sugar, 1/4 c. water and egg yolks in small saucepan; stir until blended. Stir in remaining 1 3/4 c. water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a full boil; remove from heat. Set aside 1/2 c. of the pudding; cool slightly. Whisk butter and lemon juice into remaining pudding in saucepan; cool 15 minutes, stirring twice.

In large mixing bowl, combine cream cheese and powdered sugar; mix well. Whisk in reserved 1/2 c. lemon pudding and 1 tsp. lemon zest. Fold in whipped topping; spread over crust.

Stir remaining lemon pudding mixture and spoon evenly over cream cheese filling, spreading gently. Refrigerate at least 6 hours.

Run paring knife around sides of dessert; release collar from pan. Garnish with whipped topping and lemon zest.

Serves 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...