March 15, 2010

Make ahead Biscuit Recipe

Pin It

Technically, this is just my regular biscuit recipe, but a few weeks ago I thought about making them the night before and baking them in the morning, and tried it and it turned out!

I grew up watching my grandma and my dad make biscuits. (Mostly, I would just watch so I could snitch the dough to eat! I would eat biscuit dough over cookie dough any day! I love it!) Even though I watched them make biscuits, getting a recipe out of them is useless. I come from a family of cooks that use the word, "handful" as a term of measurement. (This is my Grandma giving me a recipe, "put your flour in until it looks right, add your milk (no measurements mind you), mix it up until it looks right," etc. etc.) I'm like that too, but I'm really making an effort to write down all my recipes with measurements so my children won't be bugged one day when they try to cook my food.

I decided to come up with my own biscuit recipe when John and I went to make biscuits one morning and found three recipes written down from my dad, three recipes that were ALL DIFFERENT for the same biscuit! Most biscuit recipes are basically the same with a few little preference changes. I personally think mine are the most delicious, of course.

Holly's Biscuit Recipe:

2 c. flour
3/4 tsp. salt (If I use salted butter, I don't always add the salt)
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. butter
1 c. plus 1 T. buttermilk (do not use low fat buttermilk; you can, but it does make a difference!)

1.  Mix dry ingredients together. Cut in butter until the size of oatmeal or a little larger.

2.  Make a hole in your flour mixture (or volcano as my son says) and pour in your buttermilk. (A method I learned from watching my dad.) Mix until dough comes together.

3.  Knead your dough together a little bit with your hands.

4.  Roll or spread out the dough with your hands on a floured surface. Cut to desired sizes (Make sure they are pretty thick!) (If you don't have a biscuit cutter - my family often uses the tops glasses to cut biscuits).

5.  Place biscuits, touching, on greased pan. TOUCHING.  My husband had a hard time with this when he first starting making this recipe.  They rise taller if they are touching.  (If you are making these to bake the next day, cover and place in your fridge.)

6.  Bake at 425 degrees for about 10 minutes or until very lightly browned.

This recipe makes about 10 biscuits, depending on how thick you cut out your biscuits, or how much dough you ate! :)

2 comments:

  1. Ok I tried these tonight and they were delicious!! Definitely making these again:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! glad you liked them! sometimes it makes me nervous that what if the recipe doesn't turn out for someone else!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...