March 4, 2010

Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookie Copy Cat Recipe

I thought I would try these for my husband. He loves the thin mint cookies. I personally would rather buy the cookies in the picture below, because I think they are better and you can buy them all year.

The recipe I adapted is found HERE. This recipe was pretty close. The ones that tasted most like the thin mints were the thinnest cookies. So, if you make this recipe make sure your cookies are thin. The original recipe calls for shortening, but I don't cook with that anymore and always substitute with equal amounts of butter. You can see the other adjustments I made and my tips in my italicized notes in the recipe. This was an easy recipe, the part that takes the longest is dipping the cookies in chocolate.

Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookie Copy Cat Recipe:

For the cookie wafers:

1 (18.25 oz.) package of fudge cake mix (I used Betty Crocker)
3 T. butter
1/2 c. cake flour, measured then sifted
1 egg
5 T. water

For the coating:

2 (12 oz. bags) semi-sweet chocolate chips (I use Ghiradelli)
3/4 tsp. peppermint extract (I used less chocolate chips than the original recipe and still used the amount of extract it called for. If I make these again, I would add more peppermint. When the chocolate is melted, taste it, if it needs more peppermint to you, add more. Just be careful you don't end up making chocolate tasting toothpaste...)

1. Combine the cookie ingredients in a large bowl, and beat, adding the water a little bit at a time until the dough forms. (Next time I make these I'm going to add some mint to the dough too.)

2. (I added this step so I wouldn't have to roll out the dough and cut it, but if you want to do that refer to the original recipe.) Shape the dough into a rough roll and cover with saran wrap leaving extra saran wrap on either side. Roll to make a thin roll, thin enough to fit into a cardboard paper towel roll. You will have extra dough hanging out on both sides if you only use one. So, divide your dough if you have two of them. Chill for at least 2 hours.

3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and grease cookie sheets.

4. After your dough is chilled, work with small portions of your dough at a time, to make sure the dough is cold. With a very sharp knife, slice thin slices and place them on your cookie sheet. (You may have to reshape some of your slices to circles if your dough is really soft.)

5. Bake for 10 minutes.

6. Remove the wafers from the oven and cool completely.

7. Combine chocolate chips with peppermint extract and melt over low heat in a pot on the stove, or in the microwave. Stirring often.

8. Dip cooled wafers in chocolate and let dry on wax paper. (I dipped the cookie top down, then flipped it over with a fork and shook it lightly over the pot to remove excess chocolate.)

9. I made about 60 cookies, the original recipe said it makes 108; but, mine were larger, and some of mine were thicker than they should have been. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...