January 29, 2010

My Favorite Cookie

I'm hesitant to call anything my favorite, but if I had to choose a favorite these just might be it.

One of my neighbors in college introduced me to these cookie sandwhiches, and I even served them at my wedding. (That's why I've titled these cookies, Wedding Cookies) Although, not sure about this same color, and definitely not in the shape of hearts.

If I had to describe what this cookie tastes like, I would say similar to a shortbread cookie, but a much more delicate cookie; soft and flaky, and delicious paired with the filling in the middle!

Wedding Cookie Recipe:

For the dough:
1 c. butter
1/3 c. whipping cream
2 c. flour
food coloring of your choice if desired

Cream the butter, and beat in the rest of the ingredients. (Okay, I know you'll be tempted to taste the dough, don't, it's not a very tasty dough. But, I know because I told you not to, you probably will. But, don't say I didn't warn you. And, trust me, even though the dough tastes funny, these cookie sandwhiches are divine!) Cover and chill at least one hour.

After chilled, roll out dough on VERY WELL floured surface. (This is a very sticky, delicate dough, so you will need to use a lot of flour to make the dough easier to work with.) Cut into 1/2 inch rounds. (I used a large cookie cutter, only because I didn't have a small heart to use. The smaller your cookie cutter, the easier your cookie dough will be to work with. Plus, easier to work with after it's done baking too. Just trust me.) Sprinkle sugar, and prick the dough with a fork. (I included the picture below of what your cookie will look like if it doesn't get pricked. The dough rises unevenly, and gets bubbled making one layer of the cookie getting cooked faster than the other layers.) Bake until fluffy at 400 degrees for 7-9 minutes.


For the filling:
1/4 c. butter
3/4 c. powdered sugar
1/3 c. cream cheese
1 tsp. vanilla

Beat the cream cheese and butter together, add the rest of the ingredients and beat well. When the cookies have cooled, spread the filling on the flat side of a cookie and top with another cookie. (MY TIP: If you are making these for a party, or want a nicer presentation, I would pipe the filling to the edge of the cookie to make the edges look nicer. These cookies are pretty delicate, and easy to break, so piping is a better choice if you are doing them for a party.)

Options: These cookies can go with any holiday, just add your choice of food coloring and cookie cutter shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...