December 30, 2019

Hello Dolly Cookies


My mom made these cookies when I was growing up.  This summer, I had a random craving for them and pulled out the recipe I wrote down as teenager.  This is how dated the recipe is -  it called for margarine.  (I just sub all old recipes that called for margarine with butter.) This is a super yummy and super easy recipe. 

This is the original recipe below in my ugly teenage handwriting that would flip flop back and forth from all caps to lower case.  It's not much better to this day. But, this recipe card is one reason why I need to blog or record all of my recipes somewhere... I pull up my blog almost on a daily basis to pull a recipe from because it's so much quicker than looking through my cookbooks or pins. And, I love hearing that my friends and family do it too! Yay! But, also most of my cookbooks and recipe cards are covered with food or ruined with liquid, so it's good to have them in a place where they will be protected from my messy cooking and messy children.


Most Hello Dolly cookies have butterscotch chips in them, but my mom's recipe didn't call for them.  When I was at the store, I saw these salted caramel chips, and thought they would be a yummy addition... and... THEY WERE!  Will always use them in the future - or until they no longer sell them.




Hello Dolly Cookies Recipe

1/2 c. melted butter
2 c. graham cracker crumbs (I make mine in a mini food processor)
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 c. caramel chips
1 c. grated coconut
1 can of sweetened condensed milk


1.  Melt butter and mix with graham crackers.  Press into 9x9 square pan.

2.  Sprinkle pecans, chocolate chips, caramel chips over top of the crust.

3. Sprinkle coconut over the top.  Pour sweetened condensed milk over the top, covering evenly.

4.  Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.  To cut perfect squares, wait for them to be cooled.

1 comment:

  1. Never heard them called hello Dolly before. We called them magic cookie bars, I think.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...