March 10, 2015

Copy Cat Kentucky Fried Chicken Biscuits


We haven't eaten at KFC in a looong time, but when I came across this recipe on Pinterest, I thought it would be fun to try.  I mean, I think I make the best biscuits (I'm a very humble person), but I am always willing to try a new recipe!  (My biscuit recipe HERE or you can see where we turned my biscuit recipe into the copy cat flaky layered biscuits HERE)

When I saw the ingredients for the recipe though, I thought I wasn't going to make them because they called for shortening and I don't cook with that.  However, I remembered I bought some to make beignets recently!  Score!  This recipe also called for butter flavored Crisco, but I was not going to buy some of that just to make these biscuits, (Although I used to buy that to make my pie crusts, and it was very delicious...) and I just used regular butter instead in it's place.  

My husband actually made these because I was busy doing other things.  I supervised in a few areas, but that's it.  They do taste like KFC's biscuits for sure, not EXACTLY, but same texture, and very closely the same flavor.  I don't think my husband brushed them with as much butter after baking as KFC did, and honestly they probably use some kind of margarine, so that really was probably the only difference in taste.  They were good, but like any devoted husband would he said he liked our biscuits better.  (Just kidding, he'd totally tell me if these tasted better!)


Copy Cat Kentucky Fried Chicken Biscuit Recipe
Recipe from HERE
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour (you'll need more for kneading, it was a very, very sticky dough)
  • 1 12 teaspoons salt
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 14 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
  • 4 teaspoons Butter Flavor Crisco (I used butter)
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • Whole milk to baste biscuits with
  1. PREHEAT oven to 400°F. 
  2. Combine flour,  salt, sugar,  baking powder and baking soda in a large mixing bowl; Cut in shortenings until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
  3. Stir in 1 cup buttermilk just until a soft dough forms (dough will be very loose and sticky at this point).
  4. Sprinkle flour over a large wooden board; turn dough onto a floured board and knead gently 10 to 12 times or until no longer sticky, re-flouring board as necessary while kneading.
  5. Gently pat or roll dough into a circle 1/2-inch thick.
  6. Cut out biscuits – pressing straight down – with a 2-inch biscuit cutter.
  7. Reform scraps, working it as little as possible and continue cutting.
  8. Place cut biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet with edges barely touching; brush tops of the biscuits with whole milk.
  9. Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
  10. Immediately brush biscuits with butter after baking.
  11. Serve hot and enjoy!

What they looked like after basting with milk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...