November 24, 2013

Pumpkin Biscuits


Pin It

So, I've been adding all my pumpkin puree to random things... I thought, why not biscuits?  Most of the recipes I found had spices in them - and from the pictures seemed like they would be dense and/or dry.  I know, I know, you can't tell from a picture necessarily, but I just wanted a plain biscuit using some pumpkin.  So, I just adapted my regular biscuit recipe and made a few changes, and they turned out!  Yay!  I believe that Everett had his first biscuits this morning - he decided to fore-go his pincer grasp and full fisted the yumminess!

Remember, my home made pumpkin puree is a lot lighter than what you buy in the store, so if you made this with store bought canned pumpkin, your biscuits will turn out darker (prettier!). 

Pumpkin Biscuit Recipe:

2 c. flour
3/4 tsp. salt (If I use salted butter, I don't always add the salt)
5 tsp. baking powder
6 T. butter
1/2 c. buttermilk*
1/2 c. pumpkin puree

1.  Mix dry ingredients together. Cut in butter until the size of oatmeal or a little larger.

2.  Make a hole in your flour mixture (or volcano as my son says) and pour in your buttermilk and pumpkin puree. (A method I learned from watching my dad.) Mix until dough comes together.  If the biscuit dough is still pretty wet, sprinkle just a little bit of flour until it is not so sticky.

3.  Knead your dough together a little bit with your hands.

4.  Roll or spread out the dough with your hands on a floured surface. Cut to desired sizes (Make sure they are pretty thick!) (If you don't have a biscuit cutter - my family often uses the tops glasses to cut biscuits).

5.  Place biscuits, touching, on greased pan. TOUCHING.  My husband had a hard time with this when he first starting making this recipe.  They rise taller if they are touching.  (If you are making these to bake the next day, cover and place in your fridge.)

6.  Bake at 425 degrees for about 10 minutes or until very lightly browned.

This recipe makes about 10 biscuits, depending on how thick you cut out your biscuits, or how much dough you ate! :)

* I didn't have any buttermilk on hand (this RARELY happens!)  So, I just put 1/2 T. white vinegar in a 1/2 cup size measuring cup and then filled the rest with milk until it equaled 1/2 cup.  Let it sit 5-10 minutes and there is your buttermilk substitute! 

Soft and yummy!

Touching!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...