I found this recipe for John Legend's macaroni and cheese on Pinterest. Apparently he not only sings, but makes great mac & cheese!
This macaroni and cheese was definitely southern style. This is the kind of mac and cheese you find served in a southern BBQ place. I usually make a smooth, creamy macaroni and cheese, so my kids approached this mac and cheese very tentatively. Trevan said it was weird, but that it tasted good... It did taste good, it had a great flavor!!!
I halfed the recipe because I only had one can of evaporated milk. But, instead of halfing the noodles, I used two cups. So, if I actually make the full recipe I will use 4 cups of noodles instead of 3.
Also, I prefer soft noodles, so I would bake this covered and then uncover it the last few minutes.
John Legend's Mac & Cheese Recipe
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for baking dish
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups elbow macaroni
- 2 (12-ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 (8-ounce) packages extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 (8-ounce) package Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- Paprika, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Generously butter a 13-by-9-inch glass baking dish; set aside. Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add salt and macaroni. Cook until al dente according to package directions. Drain, and return to pot. Add butter, and toss until pasta is coated and butter has melted; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together evaporated milk, skim milk, and eggs. Add seasoned salt, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; set aside. In another medium bowl, combine cheeses; set aside.
- Place 1/3 macaroni in an even layer in the bottom of prepared baking dish; cover evenly with 1/3 cheese. Repeat with remaining macaroni and cheese mixture. Pour milk mixture evenly over contents of baking dish. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake until top layer is lightly browned, 35 to 45 minutes. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving