March 11, 2013
The Best Potato Cheese Soup
I LOVE potato soup, but I love my potato soup the most!! No canned cheese soups for this recipe, you make your own cheese sauce! This soup is a big hit whenever it is served. Promise! Simple, easy, and delicious!
Potato Cheese Soup Recipe:
1 medium onion diced
4-5 carrots diced (or grated**)
4 stalks of celery diced
10 Large peeled and cubed potatoes
1/2 tsp. (or to taste) dried rosemary (crushed a little bit)
pepper & salt to taste
5 chicken bouillon cubes ( I use 5 tsp. of natural chicken bouillon, no MSG. etc. or use chicken broth instead of water below and omit the bouillon)
1. In large pot, saute first three ingredients in 2-3 T. butter (or olive oil if you want to be healthier)
2. Add the rest of ingredients.
3. Add enough water (or chicken broth) to cover vegetables and boil until potatoes are tender.
4. Mash through with potato masher until desired consistency.
5. You can make the cheese sauce when potatoes are almost done.
** Another way I make it sometimes is to grate the carrots then add them right at the end when the potatoes are almost done.
Make Cheese Sauce:
4 T. butter
1/3 c. flour
2 c. milk
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
In small pot, melt butter then whisk in flour until smooth. Add milk and let thicken a little bit then add cheese. Mix the cheese into the pot with potatoes. All done! Enjoy!