December 29, 2009

Homemade Granola


Making granola at Christmas time was a tradition of my mothers. This year I decided to try it myself for the first time. I would choose home made granola over the store bought variety any day.

Here is my family's recipe just for you:

Mix together the following ingredients in a large bowl:

13 c. oats (not the quick cooking kind)
1 c. wheat germ
2 c. sunflower seeds
1 c. sesame seeds
1/2 c. flax
4 c. of chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts, and pecans)

In a medium sized pot heat the following ingredients until they boil:

1 1/2 c. of brown sugar
2 c. water
2/3 c. vegetable oil
1 c. honey
3/4 c. molasses
2 tsp. salt
4 tsp. cinnamon
5 tsp. vanilla

Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix well. Spread on cookie sheets, or use a roasting pan. Bake @ 300 degrees for an hour, stirring every 20 minutes.

My mom made a few modifications to this recipe, and didn't use as much of the sugar ingredients. The next time I make it, I am going to add coconut, and use butter instead of oil. I'll let you know how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...