December 2, 2009

Chocolate Filled Puff Pastry

On Monday evening, I wanted to have a fun treat to eat after we decorated the Christmas tree. Have you ever tried the chocolate puff pastry dessert from PaPa Johns? (If not, you should -they are sooo good!) Well, I've been wanting to try making my own version for sometime now, and finally got around to it.


Here's my recipe if you'd like to try it yourself:

Chocolate Filled Puff Pastry

1/2 package Puff Pastry Sheets (1 sheet)

10 Tablespoons of semi - sweet chocolate chips (I also tried mint chocolate chips - I think dark chocolate would taste even better. The key here is to use good quality chocolate.)

Thaw pastry sheet at room temp. for about 30 minutes. Then, unfold pastry sheet, press seams together, and roll into 12" square. Cut into 4 squares. Place about 2 1/2 Tablespoons of chocolate chips in the center of each square. Brush edges of square with water, and fold one corner to opposite corner making a triangle. Place 2" apart on baking sheet.

Bake 15 minutes @ 400 degrees, or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack about 10 minutes. Drizzle with icing.

Icing Recipe

1 c. or more of powdered sugar

1 1/2 Tblsp. Milk

1/4 tsp. vanilla

Mix milk and vanilla together, add powdered sugar until desired consistency. I think I used more powdered sugar, but I'm not sure, because I didn't write it down when I added it. You want it to be pretty thick (think paste), but thin enough to still drizzle.

Enjoy!

(Side note: The puff pastry I used is pretty old and I've taken it out and thawed it and refrozen it many times, and it even stayed in my fridge a few days because I ended up not having time to make what I wanted. I think the pastry would have been even puffier had it been fresh and not messed around with so many times. Who knows if it really matters, but I've worked with puff pastry before and it was quite puffier...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...